July 2023 Network Changes (Essex)
4 months ago
From Monday 24 July 2023 we're making changes to parts of our Essex networks, centred around Waltham Abbey, Epping and Wickford. There will also be some changes to fares on parts of our network. Details of these changes can be found below:
Service 8 (Wickford > Rettendon)
There will be a revised timetable on all days.
Service 9 (Wickford Circular)
Service withdrawn due to low usage.
Service 10 (Wickford > Basildon)
We'll be introducing a revised route and timetable on all days to improve reliability. Buses will operate to a more consistent 2-hourly timetable throughout most of the day.
In Shotgate daytime journeys, between 0900 and 1600, will operate a shortened single direction loop. Buses leaving Wickford Station will follow the existing route around the Beauchamps Estate and back onto Southend Road, continuing to the island before turning back to Shotgate Post Office and then returning along Southend Road.
The spur along Hodgson Way is withdrawn due to low usage and Beauchamps will only be served once on each roundtrip.
A new route map for Service 10 will be published shortly.
Service 13 (Waltham Cross > Epping & North Weald)
A revised weekday timetable is introduced to improve reliability and provide earlier morning and later evening journey opportunities. There are also minor changes on Saturday morning journeys towards Waltham Cross. A summary of the changes:
- An additional weekday morning roundtrip is introduced numbered 13C departing North Weald at 0555, returning from Waltham Cross at 0640.
- The 0615 13C from North Weald to Epping Station is renumbered and will now run as part of Service 18.
- All morning peak journeys are retimed to run between 2-5 minutes earlier to better reflect the higher volumes of traffic through Epping.
- The 0857 from Waltham Cross is retimed to run 3-5 minutes later and will depart at 0900.
- The 1610 13A from Waltham Cross is retimed to depart 15 minutes later at 1625. This journey is renumbered 13 and will no longer serve Shernbroke Road or Broomstick Hall Road.
- The 1826 13C from North Weald is retimed to depart at 1832. This journey will run 5-6 minutes later from all subsequent stops.
- A later weekday evening roundtrip is introduced departing Epping Church towards Waltham Cross at 2017 and from Waltham Cross towards North Weald (13C) at 2120.
- On Saturdays, AM journeys numbered 13C are retimed between North Weald and Epping to provide a more consistent timetable.
Service 14 (Waltham Cross > Upshire)
There will be a revised timetable on all days.
- Weekday evening buses after the 1800 departure will generally run 4-5 minutes later throughout.
- All Saturday journeys are retimed to operate 5 minutes later throughout.
Service 20 (Bray's Grove > Harlow)
A revised timetable is introduced with an additional early morning journey and mid-evening return operating on weekdays.
On Saturdays most journeys will operate around 3-5 minutes late except:
- The 0700 from Bray's Grove which will now run at 0710.
- The 1712 from Harlow and 1720 from Bray's Grove which are withdrawn.
Service 22 (Waltham Cross > Shernbroke Road)
There are no changes to the Saturday service, however an enhanced weekday service is introduced:
- The 0825 ex Waltham Cross is given additional running time around Waltham Abbey.
- The 1550 22A is extended to serve the full loop via Shernbroke Road and renumbered 22.
- An additional late evening journey is introduced departing Waltham Cross at 2050.
Service 18 / 418 (Loughton > North Weald & Ongar)
A revised timetable is introduced on all days with all journeys extended from Epping through to North Weald on weekdays (to match Saturdays). In addition, a small number of journeys at the start and end of the day will extend through to Ongar (Two Brewers).
As part of the revisions, peak time journeys are given additional running through Debden and Abridge to better reflect traffic conditions.
Our original plan was for all journeys to be renumbered 18 (18C for Ongar) to provide commonality with our expanding network in the Epping area and reflect the development of the route to serve North Weald and differentiate it from the 418B operated by another company towards Harlow. Disappointingly Essex County Council who fund the part of the service rejected our request. As a result buses will operate numbered 18 on commercial elements between St Margaret's and North Weald (and Ongar 18C) and numbered 418 on funded elements between St Margaret's and Loughton via Theydon Bois. However passengers may travel through on both routes without changing buses or paying an additional fare.
Service 505 (Waltham Cross > Harlow)
A revised timetable is introduced on all days to improve reliability. A summary of changes:
- The 0635 departure from Harlow on weekdays is retimed to depart at 0640 and will no longer serve Sumners. This journey will additionally operate via Paternoster Hill, Ninefields and Broomstick Hall Road in Waltham Abbey. This journey will operate throughout the year with the 0650 Non-Sch-Day variation withdrawn.
- The 0730 (Sch) / 0740 (Non-Sch) departures from Waltham Cross are merged into a single departed at 0735 which will operate throughout the year.
- All weekday daytime journeys are retimed to operate approximately 3 minutes earlier from all stops between Harlow and Waltham Cross.
- Weekday daytime journeys serving Harlow Station and Temple Fields are retimed to move excess waiting time to Harlow Bus Station. This is due to safety concerns at the Temple Fields terminus.
- The 1815 weekday evening departure from Waltham Cross is retimed to depart at 1820 and will run approx 5 minutes later throughout.
- There are minor revisions to all Saturday journeys which are retimed to provide more consistent running times with the weekday service.
From the same date (Mon 24th July) revised fares will be introduced on a small number of routes as follows:
- Full route returns on Service 13 will increase by between 10-30p.
- Harlow Town Zone Day tickets on Service 20 will increase by 20p from £3.60 to £3.80.
- Epping Forest Zone Singles will increase by 10p to £2.60 except between North Weald and Epping where they will remain capped (commercially) at £2.00 until the end of October.
- Wickford Town Zone fares will on Services 8/10 will increase by between 10p-20p.
- Wickford Plus Zone is removed as these tickets were rarely used. All journeys in this area can continue to be made using either 2x singles or our West Essex Day ticket.
New fare charts will be published as soon as possible.